Friday 18 July 2014

Book Review - The Teashop on the Corner by Milly Johnson



The Teashop on the Corner


I’ve been waiting to read this book for months as I am a HUGE Milly Johnson fan and The Teashop on the Corner did not disappoint me, I loved every single page.

The Teashop on the Corner is Milly’s tenth full length novel and yet again she has created an incredible bunch of genuine characters whose lives all end up being entwined in some way.  In this book it is the teashop run by Leni Merryman where all the characters meet and become friends. Leni appears to be an extremely bubbly person whose life appears complete but as the book unfolds we begin to get subtle hints that all is not as perfect as it seems.

The book focuses mainly on the lives of Carla Pride, Will Linton and Molly Jones. Carla has just buried her husband Martin and just received a huge shock which completely changes her world when she enters the Teashop. Will Linton has just lost his business and his wife and needs to begin to rebuild his life and overcome his fears. Molly Jones is sixty-eight and fears she will be put into “Autumn Grange” a retirement home by her son Gram and his wife Sherry who are far more concerned with Molly’s money than molly herself. When Molly’s ex-husband Harvey reappears after twenty-eight years apart Molly can’t believe it, he claims he is dying and wants to right his wrongs before its far too late, will Molly let him? As these three struggle with their upheavals, it’s the Teashop and Leni which become their sanctuary to help sort out their lives. 

I love Milly’s books and this one is definitely as good as the rest, I won’t say better because there is not one of them I can single out as a favourite, I love them all. I love the way Milly can write about five or six characters in the same book and you never get confused as to what is happening to each one. Milly Johnson has a real talent for making a group of characters come together and become friends which is believable when it could so easily seem forced. From the very first page of this book I was hooked yet again as I began to learn more about the characters. I think the thing I love most about Milly Johnson’s book and this one does it particularly  well is the ability to drop subtle hints about what happened in the past and what might happen in the future, so you keep reading just a bit more before you know it you’ve finished the book.
The Teashop on the Corner is a book about friendship, love and forgiveness all mixed in with a little Milly magic. It is the perfect summer read and my favourite book of the year so far.


I rate this book 5/5 most definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment